Fennel and chicken casserole
This was shared on the Growers' sheet 3rd July 2020; no original source was cited.
It's a quick and delicious dinner: serves 2-3, depending on how hungry you are!
Gluten free (check the stock), dairy free
You can make this vegetarian or vegan by using a meat substitute like Iceland no chick strips (pictured here).
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 or 3 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into chunks (or a meat replacement of your choice - we used Iceland No-Chick Strips)
1 large fennel bulb
200g new potato, cut into chunks
1 tin chopped tomatoes
salt & pepper
3 roasted red peppers in brine (from a jar), diced
- Remove all the leaves and stems from the fennel. Cut it into quarters and then length ways into slices. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan for which you have a lid.
- Add the onion, and fry until soft: a couple of minutes or so.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add the chicken and fry until it lightly colours, then add the fennel. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes and stock. Season. Bring to the boil and simmer covered for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the peppers and heat through.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve immediately with some crusty bread to mop up the juices. Enjoy!
- You could reduce the peppers to two, to make it slightly less sweet
- You could increase the quantity of potatoes
- Paprika or smoked paprika might take the flavours in a good direction too