I found this is an old Christmas issue of BBC Vegetarian magazine while looking for inspiration. I made it on Christmas Eve and it was fantastic!
2tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
10 shallots, peeled
1tsp ground coriander
2tsp brown sugar
1tbsp soy sauce
2 carrots, chopped
2 parsnips, peeled & chopped
100g cooked chestnuts, chopped (we found these in a local Polish shop as the original recipe calls for puree, which we couldn't find at all)
900ml veg stock (although I think I'd use less next time as the casserole was quite soupy)
225g butternut squash, peeled & chopped
400g tin of butter beans, drained & rinsed
1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
For the topping
225g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
15g salted butter
25g walnuts, chopped
2tbsp fresh sage, chopped
150ml semi-skimmed milk
- First, make the scone topping mix. Mix together the flour & baking powder. Rub the butter in until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the walnuts & sage & mix. Add the milk & mix to a dough. Wrap in cling film & put in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to gas 7/220C
- In a large pan heat the oil & cook the garlic & onion for 10 mins, until starting to soften. Add the spices & cook for another minute. Add the sugar & cook for another 5 minutes; the onions will start to caramelise.
- Add the soy sauce, carrots & parsnips & cook over a high heat for 3 mins.
- Stir in the chestnuts & veg stock. Bring to the boil & simmer for 10 mins. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Add the squash & simmer for 10 mins. Stir in the butter beans & remove from heat.
- Transfer the veg mixture to a casserole dish. You may want to reserve some of the liquid to stop it being too soupy (it will make fab gravy another day!). Stir the sage through the mixture.
- Take the scone mixture from the fridge & roll out. Cut into 5cm rounds & place them on top of the veg mixture.
- If desired, brush the scones with beaten egg. Bake for 15-20 mins until the scones are risen & golden brown. Serve immediately :-)
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone