The quantities here are very approximate, as this recipe was made up as I went along.
Serves 6-ish, depending on how many tomatoes you use.
1 onion, chopped
A few cloves of garlic, chopped
About 2 weeks' worth of CHW tomatoes (I left the skins on), roughly chopped
A handful of fresh basil leaves
Salt & pepper
Some sunflower oil
- Fry the onion and garlic in the oil until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, stir, cover, turn to a low heat and sweat for 20-30 minutes until the tomatoes have broken down and are quite liquidy.
- If the tomatoes are sharp, add a little sugar to sweeten. Season.
- Blend the soup in a food processor until fine. If you're fussy about tomato skins, this step generally gets rid of them.
- Return to a low heat, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Remove from the heat, roughly shred the basil leaves and add. Serve and enjoy!
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone