Adapted from "Vegetarian and Vegetable Cooking" by Christine Ingram
4 large red onions
1 tbsp sunflower oil
25g pine nuts
115g feta cheese, crumbled
salt & pepper
Fresh herbs of your choice (the recipe called for coriander which I didn’t have, so used thyme)
- Peel the onions and take a thin slice from top and bottom
- Simmer for 10-12 mins until tender, then set aside to cool
- Combine the feta, breadcrumbs, pine nuts, herbs and seasoning in a mixing bowl
- Using an apple corer/small knife/fingers, remove the inner sections of the onions, leaving 2 or 3 outer rings.
- Chop the onion segments removed from the inside of the onions and fry for 4-5 mins until soft. Add them to the feta mixture
- Heat the oven to180C/350F/gas 5
- Stuff the onion rings with the feta mixture and place into an oven proof dish. If you have extra stuffing, place it around the onions
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30mins. Remove the foil and bake for a further 10-15 mins. Enjoy!
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone