Serves 2 as a main
Adapted from a Yotam Ottolenghi recipe in the Guardian Weekend magazine.
4 large chestnut/portobello mushrooms
freshly ground black pepper
1 small fennel bulb, chopped
50g sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
50g Parmesan, grated
100g taleggio, sliced into 4 (you can find this cheese in Waitrose or the deli at the Rutland & Derby)
fresh basil, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to gas 4/180C.
- Line an oven tray with greaseproof paper, put the mushrooms on it with the tops facing down, season and drizzle with olive oil and bake for about 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, fry the fennel for 5-10mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and garlic and cook for a few more mins.
- Remove from the heat, leave to cool, then season and add the parmesan. Stir.
- Pile the fennel mixture on top of the mushrooms, and top with the taleggio.
- Return to the oven for 10 mins or so.
- Serve immediately, garnishing with basil if preferred. I ate mine with some sauté potatoes - a great way to use up extra boiled ones from the previous night! I imagine a crisp salad would also go well.
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone