I was inspired originally by a recipe in The Vegetarian Kitchen
(Lorenz Books 1999) but the recipe given below varies quite considerably from the original.
squash (any kind will do- I used the piece from the harvest box on Christmas Eve)
, peeled, deseeded, and chopped
1 pint stock
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
225g arborio rice
a small bottle (250ml) of white wine
2 tbspns freshly grated parmesan cheese
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Roast the squash at gas 6 for 20-30mins, and set aside on kitchen towel.
- In a large saucepan heat the olive oil and butter until the latter has melted. Add the onion & garlic & fry over a low heat until translucent.
- Add the arborio rice and stir until coated in oil.
- Add all of the wine, then turn up the heat until the mixture begins to bubble. Stir frequently until the majority of liquid has been absorbed.
- Gradually add the stock, a bit at a time, allowing most of the previous liquid to be absorbed before adding more. Continue this process until all the stock is added.
- Add the squash and season generously.
- Turn the heat down a little and simmer for about 15 mins, until the rice is cooked. You'll need to stir the mixture frequently to stop it sticking to the pan.
- Add the parmesan, stir, adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve immediately; enjoy!
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone