Adapted from Leon: Fast Vegetarian
Serves 3-4, depending on how hungry you are.
For the pancakes:
350g warm mashed potato
100g plain flour
2 egg yolks
1 tsbp natural yoghurt
pinch bicarbonate of soda
pinch cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
salt & pepper
sunflower oil, for cooking
For the salad:
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp caraway seeds
1 clove of garlic, crushed
5 tbsp orange juice
300g raw beetroot, grated
horseradish sauce, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the caraway seeds and fry for a minute or two over a low heat.
- Add the garlic, orange juice and sugar and bring to the boil. Simmer until reduced by half.
- Remove from the heat, tip in the beetroot, and season well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mashed potato and flour. Beat in the egg and egg yolks. Add the milk and yoghurt and beat again. Add the bicarb and cayenne and season well.
- Put your oven on its lowest setting.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Put large tablespoons of the potato pancake mixture into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes before turning. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Put the cooked pancakes on a tray in the oven to keep warm while you cook the remainder in batches.
- To serve, place pancakes on a plate and top with some beetroot salad. Add a dollop of horseradish sauce (to taste). Enjoy :)
The potato pancakes can be re-heated and eaten another day. The salad will keep in the fridge for a day or two.
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone