As always, thanks to Mum for teaching me the basics of soup-making :)
5 leeks (the ones from the harvest were small, so use less if yours are larger)
5-6 small potatoes
1 - 1 1/2 pints stock
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (or you could try ground white pepper)
large knob of butter
- Wash, trim, and rough slice the leeks.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over a low heat and add the leeks. Stir to coat them in the butter, cover, and leave to sweat for 15 mins or so.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and chop into bite-size cubes.
- Add the potatoes and stock to the leeks, and bring to the boil.
- Season (you’ll need to be generous with the salt)
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 15 mins, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Blend to your liking - sometimes I blend all the soup until smooth, sometimes I don’t blend at all. This time I part blended so there was a nice mixture of textures.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Enjoy!
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone