Serves 4. From The Guardian by Felicity Cloake.
100g slightly stale white bread, soaked in cold water for 20 minutes
1kg very ripe tomatoes, diced
1 ripe red pepper, diced The recipe also calls for 1 green pepper, which we didn't have, so omitted.
1 medium cucumber, diced
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
150ml extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
2 tbsp sherry vinegar We didn't have this, so omitted.
- In a large food processor or blender, mix the tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, garlic and oil.
- Squeeze the water out of the bread, tear it into chunks, add it to the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the salt and sherry vinegar to taste. Stir well.
- Pass the mixture through a fine sieve, cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- You can eat the soup as it is or garnish with diced black olives, hard-boiled egg and small pieces of cucumber and pepper.
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone