Adapted from Delia's Vegetarian Collection, BBC 2002
This is a great way of using up a glut of tomato and cucumber.
350g ripe tomatoes
350g cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
2-3 small cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
The outside leaves of a lettuce, shredded
1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
1 pint hot water
1 desert spoon tomato purée
1 small handful of fresh basil, shredded
Freshly-milled black pepper
- Melt the butter with the oil in a large saucepan. Cook the onion in that for about five minutes on a low heat.
- Add the garlic, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes and potato. Season and stir.
- Put the lid on and sweat the vegetables on a a low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the hot water and tomato purée and heat to simmering point. Cover and simmer gently for a further 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Blend the soup until the vegetables are in fine bits. Taste and season as necessary.
- Stir in the basil and serve immediately. Goes well with some fresh crusty bread.
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone