Previous bags of stir fry greens have included broad bean tops, and I've thrown them into stir fries along with the rest. But when a whole bag of just broad bean tops arrived in this week's harvest I needed some fresh ideas. Here's one very tasty dinner. Enjoy!
Lightly adapted from https://thefarmersfeast.me/2011/04/29/fava-bean-tops/
3/4 cup cream
zest of 1 lemon
2 salmon fillets
1 tbsp olive oil
2 large handfuls of broad bean tops
1 spring onion, chopped
ground black pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine the cream, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer and then cook over a low heat for 5 mins, stirring occasionally. The cream will thicken up considerably - you want this! Set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to gas 5, and cook the salmon fillets for 10 mins. Flake with a fork and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring plenty of salted water to the boil. Cook the pasta for 2 mins less than the packet instructions state.
- When there are 3 mins remaining on the pasta cooking time, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the broad bean tops and cook for 30 seconds, stirring occasionally.
- Add the salmon and reduced cream.
- By this point, the pasta should be cooked. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the pasta to the frying pan, along with some of the cooking water. This will help loosen up the sauce.
- Stir, season with black pepper, add the spring onion, and serve immediately. A crisp side salad is a good accompaniment.
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone