Makes 1 loaf, totalling 3103 calories
Taken from The Vegetarian Kitchen, Linda Fraser (ed.), Lorenz Books 1999
75g demerara sugar
100ml sunflower oil
225g wholemeal flour (I used strong bread flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tbsp ground cardamon
¾ tsp ground allspice
150g courgette, grated
115g walnuts, chopped
50g sunflower seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Line a 2lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Beat the eggs & sugar together and gradually add the oil.
- Add all other ingredients, reserving 15g sunflower seeds. Mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin, level off, and sprinkle the reserved sunflower seeds over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- This makes a delicious snack served spread with ricotta and honey. Enjoy :)
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone