From The Guardian Weekend 30th August 2014
Serves 3 as a main
As the evenings draw in, this is the ultimate comfort food to make the most of the late summer abundance.
700g courgette, cut lengthways into thin slices
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, sliced finely
2 tsp dried oregano/herbs de Provence
ground black pepper
200ml plain yoghurt
100g extra mature cheddar, grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/gas 7.
- Lay the courgette slices on a baking tray, brush with the olive oil and season well. Bake for 30-40 mins until brown.
- In a large ovenproof dish, build the meal in layers: first passata, then onions, then courgettes, then seasoning. Repeat the layers until there's no veg left, and finish with a thin layer of passata.
- Mix the yoghurt and egg together and spoon over the courgette layers.
- Sprinkle the cheese and then the herbs on top of the yoghurt mixture.
- Bake until golden brown: the recipe says 20 mins but it took 50 mins in our oven.
I'm sure a crisp green salad would go beautifully; alternatively some good bread which would be perfect for mopping the plate :-)
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone