Adapted from The Observer Magazine 18 July 2010
1/2 lemon (NB: Not a whole lemon like we did by mistake the first time. That'll be why it was so lemony!)
8 basil leaves
4tbsp olive oil (the best you can afford)
1 small goat's cheese
4 thick slices of good bread (we used Vogel's)
Salt (we used Maldon sea salt)
- Into a large bowl, grate the zest of the half lemon, then add the juice.
- Shred the basil leaves and drop them in with the lemon. Add the olive oil and salt.
- Break the goat's cheese into small pieces and add that. Stir gently.
- Rinse and dry the courgettes. Using a vegetable peeler, slice them into thin strips.
- Warm a little olive oil in a frying pan and cook the courgette slices until golden.
- Drain them on a paper towel. Add them to the cheese mixture and stir gently.
- Toast the bread and pile the courgette mixture on the top.
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone