Adapted from SmittenKitchen.com
Serves 2 as a main dish (or 1 really hungry person - it is
3 tablespoons olive oil
3-4 medium courgettes sliced 1/4-inch thick
10 tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon thyme
100g grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 450F/230C/gas 8.
- Put courgettes & tomatoes on a baking sheet, season and toss in 2 tbsp olive oil. Bake for 15-20mins. Leave the oven on.
- If you have a dish that will transfer from hob to oven, use this to gently fry the onions & garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil. Cover the pot & leave them to cook for 10-15 mins on a low heat until they're really soft. Try not to let them burn.
- Cook the rice according to your favourite method/packet instructions.
- Take the onions off the heat & add the rice, eggs, thyme, & cheese. Stir, then add the tomatoes & courgettes along with any oil in the pan. Mix it all together well. Season according to taste.
- Bake until set and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Enjoy as is, or with a crisp green salad.
To add some extra nutrition, I think this dish would be really nice with some beans (like butter or cannelini) mixed through it.