Serves 2 (makes 6 small fritters)
Adapted from SmittenKitchen.com
2 medium courgettes
1 teaspoon course sea salt, plus extra to taste
2 spring onions, split lengthwise and sliced thinly
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Freshly ground black pepper
62g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Olive or another oil of your choice, for frying
- Trim the ends off the courgettes and grate. Salt and leave for 10 mins.
- Squeeze the excess liquid from the courgettes - you’ll be amazed at how much comes out and it will mean your fritters are less gooey.
- Add the spring onions, egg, pepper and add more salt if you think it needs it.
- Add the flour and baking powder and stir well.
- Heat some oil in a large pan and drop dessert spoon sized dollops into it. Flatten them slightly into patty shapes and fry until golden. Turn, and fry until golden on the other side.
- Leave them to drain on some kitchen towel. If you are making these in a large quantity, or a little in advance, you can keep them warm in the oven on a low heat. This will also make them slightly crispy.
- You can eat them as they are; we put a dollop of Greek yoghurt on them.
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone