Adapted from http://www.asaucykitchen.com/zucchini-crust-breakfast-pizza/
4 cups grated courgette - approx 2 average size
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese (1/2 a ball)
1/3 cup flour
1 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon basil, finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
1 -2 tablespoons tomato puree
6 cherry tomatoes, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
1 -2 tbsp fresh basil, torn
- Pre-heat the oven to gas 9/290 C, with a baking tray or pizza stone inside to heat up too.
- Put the grated courgette in a sieve and sprinkle with 1 tsp salt. Leave for 15 minutes. Then, squeeze hard to get out as much of the moisture as you can. The drier you get the courgette, the better the pizza base will be.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the base and mix together until fully combined.
- Pat the base ingredients onto a piece of baking paper until it's about 10 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick. Bake on the heated tray/stone for about 10 mins, until it's just beginning to go brown.
- Meanwhile, toss the tomatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper and set to one side.
- Once the pizza base is ready, use the back of a spoon to spread the tomato puree over the base. Then put on the sliced tomato, but not the excess olive oil. Reduce the oven to 200 C/gas 7 and bake the pizza again for about 8 minutes.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and carefully crack the two eggs on top. Sprinkle with half the grated Parmesan. Return to the oven and bake until the eggs are set: the original recipe says 3-4 mins, but in my oven it took 8-9 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the basil and remaining cheese. Serve and enjoy immediately.
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone