Adapted from http://effiesfoodblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/courgette-carbonara.html
Serves one as an extremely quick after-work meal.
Spaghetti/pasta I eat about 60g if I’m moderately hungry
Small(ish) courgette, grated
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
30g grated parmesan
1tbsp double cream
Liberal grinds of black pepper
- Cook your pasta how you would usually - it needs to be al dente.
- Near the end of the pasta’s cooking time, gently saute the courgette and garlic in olive oil over a low heat. Stop before it gets mushy.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, parmesan, cream and pepper.
- When the pasta is cooked, add it to the courgette pan and pour on the sauce. With heat on very low, stir it all together for 1 minute, then turn off the heat (before it turns to scrambled egg).
- Serve with more black pepper and perhaps a side salad.
- Substitute the cream for creme fraiche for a lower fat option.
- Add mushrooms to vary the texture.
- Carnivores, you could add some ham! Now there’s a novel idea...
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone