Adapted from a recipe in The Guardian's Cook section on 18.1.14
2 onions, chopped
large tin of white beans, drained & rinsed
1kg (approx) potatoes, peeled & cubed
1kg (approx) cauliflower, cut into large pieces
4-5 tsps mustard
100g cheese, grated
salt & pepper
herbs of your choice (optional)
- In a large saucepan gently melt the butter and then add the onions. Fry until soft but not coloured.
- Pre-heat oven to gas 4/180C
- Add the potatoes & cauliflower & cover with water. Season, bring to the boil & simmer until the potatoes are soft. Drain & mash.
- In a large baking dish mix together the mashed veg, beans, mustard, egg, milk and approx 3/4 of the cheese. Season/add herbs to taste.
- Run a fork over the top of the dish and then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake until the top is golden brown (approx 30 mins in my oven).
- Serve with sausages and a rich gravy.
- Add cooked bacon into the pie at step 4.
- Serve with braised red cabbage.
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone