Taken from The Silver Spoon (Phaidon)
100-150g carrots (depending on how carroty you want your risotto to taste!)
87ml white wine
1 small onion, chopped
175g risotto rice (I use arborio)
10g extra mature cheddar cheese, grated
15g parmesan, grated (the recipe called for 25g of Emmental, which I didn’t have, so I combined these two cheeses in a hopeful flavour impersonation!)
salt & pepper
- Heat your stock - this could be warming through some reserved from cooking veg, or simply pouring boiling water over a stock cube.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a low heat, and add the butter. Simmer for about 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, rough chop the carrots & put them in a blender along with the wine. Blend until they are a kind of puree.
- Add the carrot puree to the pan with onion, stir, and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the rice and stir so it’s evenly coated in the onion and carrot mix.
- Add a ladleful of stock to this mixture and stir. Cook until it’s been absorbed.
- Continue to add the stock a ladle at a time until it’s all been added. This process should take 15-20 mins.
- Check your rice - if it needs more time to cook then wait.
- Otherwise, remove the pan from the heat and stir the cheese through.
- Season to taste.
- You could add a little single cream as well if you like a creamier consistency.
- Enjoy with a crisp green salad.
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone