Adapted from Stephanie Alexander’s Kitchen Garden Companion
1 large onion, halved and sliced into rings
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 carrots, peeled and halved lengthways once (or twice if very thick)
2 parsnips, peeled and halved lengthways once (or twice if very thick)
2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 bay leaf
4 sausages the recipe called for pure pork; we used Cauldron vegetarian ones
This was the first time I’d made this recipe and it was very tasty. However, there are a few changes I’d make when cooking it again:
- Heat the oven to 180C/gas 4
- Put 2tbsp oil into a baking dish and add the carrots, parsnips, garlic and bay leaf. Stir, cover with foil, and bake for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, put the onion in a microwavable container with a lid. Add 1tbsp olive oil, stir, place the lid on, and microwave for 4 minutes. Stir and cook for another 4 minutes. Set aside. I was really impressed with this method of getting caramelised onions!
- Unwrap and turn the vegetables. Add the sausages and onion, cover and return to the oven for 20mins.
- Unwrap and turn over. Increase the oven temp to 200C/gas 6 and cook the dish for a further 15mins. Serve immediately.
- par cook the parsnips
- consider par cooking the carrots too
- add a lot more garlic! Cooked in their skins they were bursting with flavour and I felt cheated with only one!
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone