Adapted from http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2014/03/broccoli-cheddar-and-wild-rice-casserole/
200g broccoli, chopped
50g unsalted butter
Small onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
1 teaspoon mustard
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 cup milk
2/3 cup stock
120g cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
Freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to gas 5.
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- Combine the rice & broccoli in a large baking dish.
- Make the sauce by gently frying the onion & garlic in the butter. Add the flour & stir, cooking for a minute. Add the milk a bit at a time, stirring to discourage lumps. Add the stock and mustard, season to taste, and cook on a low heat for 5 mins or so.
- Remove the sauce from the heat & stir the cheese in.
- Pour the sauce over the broccoli & rice mixture & stir to evenly coat it.
- Bake for 15-20 mins, until golden brown on top.
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone