Adapted from BBC "The Delicious Miss Dahl" http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/borscht_93579
A good way of using both beetroot and spring onion.
6 medium-sized beetroot
1 tbsp olive oil
5 spring onions, white part only, sliced
1.5 litres/2½ pints vegetable stock
55ml/2fl oz vodka
½ lemon, juice only
1-2 tbsp crème
fraîche, plus extra to serve
Sea salt and freshly ground black
Handful chopped fresh dill
- Cover the beetroot with
water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30
minutes, or until the beetroot is tender.
- Drain, allow to cool slightly, then carefully peel and
cut the beetroot into rough pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a low heat and
gently fry the spring onions for 4-5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Blend the beetroot, spring onion and stock in a food
processor until smooth. (Our blender is not big enough for all this, so I just used enough stock to make a smooth mixture and then transferred everything back into the saucepan.)
- Add the vodka, lemon juice, crème fraîche, and season
to taste. Stir until mixed.
- The soup can be served hot or cold. Stir in a spoonful
of crème fraîche and sprinkle the chopped dill over the top.