You can’t go wrong with a crumble- it’s proper winter food! I particularly liked the variation of adding porridge in this recipe.
Adapted from Miss Dahl’s Voluptuous Delights, HarperCollins 2009
50g porridge oats
100g butter, plus a tablespoon for the fruit
50g soft brown sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for the fruit
500g apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- Grease a pie dish and put the apples in. Sprinkle and dot over the sugar and butter.
- Mix the flour, oats and butter either in a blender or by hand until it looks like lumpy breadcrumbs. Once it’s reached this consistency mix in the sugar.
- Cover the fruit with the crumble mixture.
- Bake at gas 6 for about 50 mins until the crumble is golden brown and the fruit bubbling.
- I like mine with a liberal quantity of custard. Enjoy!
This recipe tastes even better made with vegetables from Community Harvest Whetstone